O Divine Providence! Perplexing difficulties have arisen and formidable obstacles have appeared. O Lord! Remove these difficulties and show forth the evidences of Thy might and power. Ease these hardships and smooth our way along this arduous path. O Divine Providence! The obstacles are unyielding, and our toil and hardship are conjoined with a myriad adversities. There is no helper save Thee, and no succourer except Thyself. We set all our hopes on Thee, and commit all our affairs unto Thy care. Thou art the Guide and the Remover of every difficulty, and Thou art the Wise, the Seeing, and the Hearing. (‘Abdu’l-Baha, Newly Translated Prayers of ‘Abdu’l-Baha, Prayers of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, March 2021, number 6)
Have you had a chance to look at the 26 newly translated prayers of ‘Abdu’l-Baha yet? If not, you can find them here.
In reading through them during the Fast, this was the first one which jumped out at me. Maybe I’m more depressed than I realize! I liked it because it speaks my language:
- perplexing difficulties have arisen due to COVID and my apparent loss of purpose
- formidable obstacles to my ability to teach or be of service in the ways the House of Justice are asking us to do, have arisen because of total exhaustion and burnout
- the obstacles are unyielding and seem to be worsening instead of getting better
- my toil and hardship are conjoined with a myriad adversities including 2 broken ribs that prevent me from doing a lot of what I would like to do
But I don’t have to stay stuck here. I can ask God to:
- Remove these difficulties
- show forth the evidences of Thy might and power
- Ease these hardships
- smooth our way along this arduous path
And in case I think there’s something I have to do myself, I am reminded that:
- There is no helper save Thee, and no succourer except Thyself
- We set all our hopes on Thee and commit all our affairs unto Thy care
- Thou art the Guide and the Remover of every difficulty, and Thou art the Wise, the Seeing, and the Hearing.
Knowing God can relieve me of my difficulties and hardships through His might and power, I am grateful!
What jumped out for you as you read today’s meditation? I’d love it if you would share so we can all expand our knowledge of the Writings!
If you liked this meditation, you might also like my book Fear into Faith: Overcoming Anxiety