You should not neglect your health, but consider it the means which enables you to serve. It — the body — is like a horse which carries the personality and spirit, and as such should be well cared for so it can do its work! You should certainly safeguard your nerves, and force yourself to take time, and not only for prayer meditation, but for real rest and relaxation. (Shoghi Effendi, Lights of Guidance, p. 296
One of my readers asked:
I am interested in perspectives on the healing of the mental and spiritual stresses placed on so many by the forced isolation caused by the pandemic.
There are lots of great articles on the internet about the importance of balancing physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs for optimal health at this time. Things we can do in each area include:
- Prayer and Meditation (Reading the Bahá’í Writings morning and night with care and attention)
- Make God your Best Friend: when we’re missing our loved one, God is always available to us, 24/7, and deepening our relationship with Him helps us achieve our purpose in life
- Spend time finding God in nature each day
- Immerse yourself in the Writings (perhaps by attending a Study Circle)
- Set goals, preferably in alignment with the direction given by Bahá’í Institutions
- Stay positive. There’s lots that we can’t control; and lots that we can’t know, but we can watch our thoughts and focus our attention on the positive, perhaps by finding things to be grateful for several times every day
- Pay attention to your fears and give them to God instead of making them bigger
- Journal your stressors every day – I do it in the form of a “Dear God” letter
- Make phone calls – hearing other people’s problems can give us a relief from our own
- Pray with people – reciting the prayers out loud has an effect on our souls and the souls of everyone around us
- Healthy eating
- Lots of water
- Lots of exercise
- Lots of good quality sleep
- Rest and relaxation
All of these things work together synergistically.
Knowing there are lots of practical ways I can care for my body and safeguard my nerves at this time, I am grateful!
What jumped out for you as you read today’s meditation? I’d love it if you would share so we can all expand our knowledge of the Writings!
If you liked this meditation, you might also like my book Learning How to Be Happy